Politic?

This is a blog dedicated to a personal interpretation of political news of the day. I attempt to be as knowledgeable as possible before commenting and committing my thoughts to a day's communication.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Blazing Cat Fur: My Muslim patients used to be pleasant and religion was not discussed...

Blazing Cat Fur: My Muslim patients used to be pleasant and religion was not discussed...

My Muslim patients used to be pleasant and religion was not discussed...

"I am a physician in practice for twenty years.

I am also Jewish. I have never hidden this from my patients.

Not too long ago, I had a Muslim lady, wearing a veil, bring a young child to me. The patient had been having long-standing bowel problems and was losing weight. No other physician had been able to help.

In one visit the problem was solved. The mom called to make an appointment for me to see her other young child who also had a health problem that other physicians had been unable to help.

Before I saw the second patient the mother sent me a long e-mail. She announced that she had joined an international effort to boycott anyone, group or business that supports Israel. She wrote that if I support Israel she would no longer allow me to care for her children. She went on at length about how the Israelis are oppressing Muslims and are criminals who must be brought to justice.

I replied that I do support Israel as a Jewish state. I added that I question the wisdom of any mother who would deny her children quality medical care based on her politics.

She then sent me a short email saying that I am arrogant and that the real reason she will not return is that her kids hate me.

In twenty years of practice caring for people from many backgrounds I have never experienced such a situation.

My Muslim patients used to be pleasant and religion was not discussed. However, in the last few years something has changed with many of them. They are now demanding that I act according to their view of things or be punished in some way.

This ideology is demanding power and will never accept "No" for an answer."
....


Perverse as this story may appear it is not the first instance I have come across, Dr. Sion Houri of Israel's Save A Child's Heart foundation related a similar tale of parental fanaticism and abuse. The name, location and practice specialty of the physician involved have been withheld for obvious reasons.

Update: Barbara Kay writes in response - "I think it would have been very interesting if he had replied to her query, "I do not ask my patients what their politics are and I do not think it approrpriate to discuss mine with my patients. It is my job to offer the best professional service I am capable of." Period. He rose to her bait. She had no right to put him in that position. If he had said that and she dropped him as a doctor on suspicion, then she knows she is guilty of pre-emptive racism. This way she feels justified - that she had a "reason" for not availing herself of his servies - and he "enabled" her to feel that way. I don't blame him; his response was instinctive, but this should be a warning to other Jewish doctors that if they are going to lose Muslim patients (and clearly this one is no loss at all, although it is tough on the kids), then they, the Muslims, will have to take ownership of their own bigotry."

The Doctor responds to Ms. Kay: "I knew what she was up to and I wanted to let her know that I am proud to be a Jew and a supporter of the Jewish state. I will never be polite in the face of Muslim intolerance or bullying. The people who act this way are cowards at heart. They are bullies pure and simple. I wanted to let her know what I thought and I did. I would not handle it differently if I had to do it again. Yes, I feel so sorry for her kids. The little girl was incredibly sweet and we really bonded during our visit. I spent about 1.5 hours with all of them because I wanted to make sure that she was on the right track, health wise. I also liked the mom and still do, politics aside.

I went into my profession to help people, regardless of their opinions and beliefs."

>>

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

() Follow @rheytah Tweet